Monday, December 22, 2008

I've kind of been in hiding again

I've kind of been in hiding again. RL sucks.

Work is blah. I don't understand why people prefer long winded half lies to the realities of things. Instead, they tell me I need to be realistic. Yeah, makes so much sense. *rolls eyes*

The ceiling was being redone a few weeks back and everything was a mess (I have pictures somewhere). I ended up staying with my Grandparents for a few days along with the two puppies. Then, there was the carpet cleaning. I'm still trying to sort through the boxes to see where my books are.

Moving out is being delayed. Money. What can I say? Need it to survive. Economy is really bad and I'm still worried about my job. Booh.

I started dating again. It's sweet, but I cannot help this ominous feeling that my life is going to be over. So, I've been fighting the urge to pack my belongs, withdrawal my puny life savings and run off to Scotland. Why Scotland? I have no clue. It must be all the sheep talk. Hehehe.

In the meantime, I really need to stop reading so much. Apparently, having the local librarians recognize me on sight was not enough. Now, the local Borders employees know who I am, too. Not good.

Recent reads:

Kiss of the Highlander by KarenMarie Moning
It's a good book. Sadly, I didn't realize it was already 5 books in, but oh well.
Now I've back ordered the rest and need to read those too. I must say, I'm enjoying this quite a lot. I don't know if it was the author's intention, but I find it rather hilarious.
That's always a plus.
Don't know why, but I really want to read happy stuff lately.
It deters me from trying to run away from life.
Hmmm...Drustan.
Gwen's smart and funny. I like.


The Dark Highlander by Karen Marie Moning.
The one right after the previous. Again, did not know I was in mid series.
Also very interesting. A tad darker than the Kiss of a Highlander, but I enjoyed it just as much.
Although, I'm kind of worrying that maybe the rumors that too much romance novels destroy love lives with impossible expectations could be true in my case.
Or I just don't want to settle down and marry and want to run away.
Borders has it for $4.99 right now. :D



Lie to Me by Starr Ambrose
Okay, I saw a great review on Nath's blog and I was curious enough to get it on a whim. It's hilarious and adorable. Somewhat realistic, but somehow maintain this light-hearted feel. The sex scenes are not the hot stuff and rather short, but somehow, the writer made it very sweet.
I am looking forward to reading more from this author.

Tempted by the Night by Elizabeth Boyle
Invisible smex. Yes, KB, thank you. With that description, I just had to see what was going on.

It's actually another fun book overall, except for one scene with the dog. That made me a bit sad. Otherwise, I do recommend this to others for a bit of crazy impossible fun. Not too much angst, but just enough to drive the story forward.
I do love how the hero doesn't know the 'true' heroine's looks or name until towards the end. Kind of like the fantasy of caring for someone without caring about their looks. Although, they kinda just went at it rather than get to know each other first. heh.



Scandal by Amanda Quick
I've actually only read the author's Jayne Ann Krentz and they were always the more serious suspense, but I saw on Mrs. Giggles that it was keeper. So, again, buying books on a whim is sometimes a good thing.
This was actually a rather light-hearted book too! I really enjoyed the heroine. Of course, being from Asian decent, I did scoff and giggle at a few things in the novel concerning the hero's Asian influence. I do love reading how my view of Asian culture seems to differ from the norm sometimes.
You know who writes rather close to my view? Emma Holly. And she doesn't even use the Asian culture in the usual sense.


Riding Temptation by Jaci Burton
So I rarely win anything and this was no exception, but all the praising got me to go to the bookstore. I was thinking of buying Riding Wild, but I only had one coupon.
It was good. I rather enjoyed this although I am really tempted to count the number of times a certain word.




These two books, again, on a whim. Not bad. Enjoyed it well enough and will probably read the third, but I had trouble connecting with the characters. Some moments of scoff and disbelief, but all in good fun.









4 comments:

  1. Renee Bernard is great! I think you will enjoy those books.
    Not enjoying invisible smex? LOL
    I got a plush sheep from Bath & Body aka Mhiller I can snuggle up with to keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm liking them so far, but I didn't realized it's a trilogy until I was close to finishing. O_o Again, they really need numberings sometime.

    The invisible smex was great. I found it rather funny at times that the hero didn't accidentally do anything wrong.
    Yes, Mhiller and Kaleb. Oh gosh, I just had a shifter m/m interspecies moment. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. huuuuuug! *g* Hope that RL shapes up soon.

    As for the Bernard books, I have to admit that I was not real impressed. They were ok for a quick read, but I passed them along to paperbackswap as soon as I finished. A little too...idk...shallow and unintentionally funny. Or something. What is this about invisible sex?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sula!!! *hugs* Thanks, I hope so too. :)

    I'm okay with the Bernard books. It's pretty entertaining, but I don't feel it'll be in the "keeper" status. Definitely want to read that last book though.

    Woo, the invisible sex. Yes, rather interesting as the heroine turns invisible after dark. So, when the h/h are getting it on, she's invisible the entire time. Heh.

    ReplyDelete