Sunday, December 7, 2008

Revisiting old friends with new twist

With the eHarlequin December special(they were half off, how in heavens was I supposed to resist?!?!!), I decided to surge a little and plunge right back into ebooks Harlequin/Silhouette again (thought I'd quit both these nasty habits, too). So, taking a leave of my senses, I went insane and bought these:

* Forbidden: The Billionaire's Virgin Princess
* Housekeeper to the Millionaire
* Hired: The Sheikh's Secretary Mistress
* The Rancher's Rules
* In Bed with Her Italian Boss
* Accidental Mistress
* Public Scandal, Private Mistress
* King of the Desert, Captive Bride
* The Spaniard's Defiant Virgin
* The Italian's Rags-to-Riches Wife
* Scions: Revelation
* The Boss's Christmas Proposal
* The Greek's Forced Bride
* The Ruthless Magnate's Virgin Mistress
* Bought for the Sicilian Billionaire's Bed
* Ruthless Billionaire, Inexperienced Mistress
* Virgin for the Billionaire's Taking


(Italicized=read)
...and realized why I stopped. Brain sugar. Not the good kind. Did I used to suck these in like candy? Really? Some of them weren't too bad, so far, Jane Porter (always good, but Presents are too short) and Robyn Donald (new author for me) had plots more intense and interesting. Lucy Monroe's were very slice-of-life romances. But what I really noticed was the smex...as in, it's really tame. When did this became tame to me? What have I been reading that these intimate scenes were like...I don't know, simple PDA rather than "get a room." And, shockingly, I wanted to see some "get a room." O_o

Then, I became concerned with all these unbalance power relationships where the h/h were in a working relationship. All I can think when reading certain 'risque' scenes was lawsuit and felt like a complete prude. I don't like boss/employee relationships; at least not the ones portrayed here. One particular book actually disturbed me quite a lot where I really couldn't see how they would live happily together.

Now that I'm halfway through, I realized I should have bought more...especially Silhouette Desires and Harlequin Blaze. Too bad for me.

I'll just have to be content with going insane at Borders every other day after work. Hehehe.

2 comments:

  1. Heh heh -- these are addictive to me, but I agree: they are not the good kind of brain sugar. But every so often, I go on a binge (lately it's been almost all Harlequin Presents).

    The November/December books I didn't have much luck with, especially. A few were serious wallbangers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know. They're not the best stuff out there, but they are just so darn addictive. I used to be all about the Intimate Moments and Suspence...then went nuts over the Presents. I think I'm a big Desires junkie at the moment.

    You're right, I think the Nov/Dec books weren't that good. And the sex, I just don't find as hot as it could be. Or maybe I'm just getting spoiled. :D

    ReplyDelete