Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mindless consistency (In which I talk t.v.)

So, I will admit, I haven’t been reading much these days because I spend all my time in front of the television…or more precisely, in front of the computer streaming free shows.

This idea of allowing people to watch shows online has much debate and discussion surrounding it. Whatever it may be, it has allowed me much ease to watch the shows I want in a more carefree manner. No longer do I rush home to catch a show, or fight with family members over which shows to watch. It has even eliminated the “oh noes, I missed that episode due to _________.”

Instead, maybe a few times a week, I plop my slowly increasing in diameter, width and weight bottom into a nice position in front of my computer and stream away. Believe it or not, I actually stopped watching a lot of shows because I simply did not have the time to watch it when it was on. DVDs are still so expensive if you try to buy it in sets that I’m willing to sit through a few commercial even online for a good show or two before eventually purchasing said shows. Lol.

Since I am watching them anyways, it finally occurred to me that it probably would not hurt if I blogged/reviewed my thoughts about the shows I watch…even if it is way after the fact. At least this will help me to write more. Who knows, it might push me to be more consistent and I can annoy people while I gush and talk about shows. Lol.

(This was supposed to have been posted earlier, but sadly, when I was editing, I realized all I wrote was mindless gushing…so, the shortened and condensed version).

Now, a mini-catch up of shows:

Nikita – So far, I love this show. How long has it been since there has been a series where we have a female lead that kicks ass without it all being about her conflicted oh so sad love life, oh she’s so torn, oh so she’s sad, oh she needs rescuing…blah blah blah. Here, the characters are strong, but so is the story arc. I like how this show centers on the two female characters. You actually have very solid relationships and conflicts.
If nothing else, every episode of this series has some awesome action scene – like seriously awesome. Explosions, gun fights, hand to hand combat. And what is also amazing, Maggie Q does all the stunts herself. I did notice they are injecting some major romance into the series and I’m rather conflicted about it. I hope it was planned out and won’t take away from the overall story.


Castle – Oh, Nathan Fillion, you are a hilarious and wonderful actor. Your character Richard Castle is someone so nerdy and cool. This show is my favorite, to the point where I get DVDs as birthday presents. It’s funny, it’s deep’ the cast is awesome, the writers just as awesome. It is full of information, humor and drama. I cannot even tell you how many times I heard something new and then start searching up on it to learn more. I hope it never changes like so many shows before, or else I’d be so very sad.




Parks and Recreation – I will quote Tina Fey when I say, I love you Amy Poehler. If Leslie Knope really existed and worked in Pawnee, I would move there just to be her assistant or a lowly clerk. Why are there no Leslie Knopes in the world? If this show had been out when I was in college, I probably would have continued down a very different path (or not, but I can dream right? lol). Leslie, you are my role model in a world so lacking in them. Ok, I’m being slightly dramatic since you are a fictional character, but still… you know what I mean. ;) This is one of those shows that all you want to do it laugh. The series centers on the diverse and crazy characters that all somehow work so well together with quite a lot of real and very good POV on people&government. This is actually one of the few series when I get surprised by the storyline even as they develop. I love every character, even the crazy random citizens. Everything is so well thought out. I love this show. I love Leslie Knope and Amy Poehler is awesome.


Modern Family – If you haven’t watched this show and loved it… well, we must have really different tastes. As the name says, this really is a great show about the “modern family”. The dynamics and characters are so great together, this is a wonderful show for everyone in the family. I think we can all relate to some aspect of this show, whether to characters or their experiences. And if not, it is just hilarious fun that teaches about family and friends. Every character in there, even the guest starts, brings so much into this show. A truly family series, imho.



30 Rocks – Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin. Need I say more? Yes? Ok, ok, let me gush. In this series was when I really notice what a great writer Tina Fey is and why many people say Alec Baldwin is a great actor – because he really is. I love how the show even jokes about themselves so often and so much - left and right. The show took some interesting turns, but it was so well developed I can’t even imagine it being any other way (like the fantasies I have of many other shows). I laugh so hard and hope it never ends (even if Alec Baldwin doesn’t want to do it anymore…why? Don’t go! Stay!!). This is one of those shows where I constantly wonder “how in the world did they even come up with something like that?” It really is that crazy.


Hawaii-Five-O: All I can say after watching this show is I really want to go to Hawaii. Really really really want to. Some of the storyline aspects are cliché and overly dramatic, but I’ve really enjoy it if only for the location, action and simple case mysteries. This is also one of the very few shows where I see more diversity: The local culture, the backgrounds and language – so much more authentic and real. Even the extras are diverse looking. The food and especially the gorgeous land. It is a beautiful place. Like I said, I really want to go to Hawaii. Lol.



Body of Proof – This is very new and for some reason, I like it enough to wait to see how it develops. The characters are all funny and interesting, but I won’t know for sure until a few more episodes. :D




And for a sad goodbye…


Perfect Couple – It seems like this show got cancelled. This was actually a show the guy recommended, promising I’ll like it. And as a testament of how long we’ve been together that he can pick out my taste in shows…I absolutely loved this show. It was hilarious. It centers around three couples (don’t they all) where two of the characters are siblings. It showcases the various types of relationships and kind of the ups and downs of friendships…mainly that no one relationship is normal. Hahahaha. Oh well, at least I can watch it online. >_<

No comments:

Post a Comment