Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wednesday Movie: The King’s Speech

Horray! Movie time. The King's Speech.

This highly beloved tale of the stuttering King George VI won tons of awards. Aside from two of my favorite actors together, Colin Firth and Helena Bonham Carter, this was an interesting take on a part of history we don’t get to hear too much about. In school, we learn more about Winston Churchill’s influence in politics more than King George’s and I’m sure there were good reasons for it. In truth, most monarchies were not that effective. Still, this was a refreshing view. Since it seemed everyone watched this movie before I did, I’ll skip most of the summary as well as the ignore some, or a lot, of the historical inaccuracies (yes I know - mostly done for dramatic effects, but I bet you didn’t know many historians watch historical films as comedies ^_~).

I think at its core, this was a re-imagined story about an individual’s struggle to overcome both an emotional and physical adversity. A stuttering hero. I believe only a few good romance novels were willing to tackle that issue. :D Granted, this was about the King and I’m sure the royal nature as well as the historical setting made the movie more exciting (I’m sure many went for Colin Firth, but that’s cuz he’s awesome). It’s sad that we can’t normally have great stories about ordinary people. Instead, this was about a supposed extraordinary person being shown in a normal light. People whom stuttered could look up and say “he’s normal and if can do it, why can’t I?”

This movie was a good change of pace from the explosions and prevalent violence flaunted at every turn, or even the hyper sexualized images seen daily. There really was a great cast and was thoroughly enjoyable. There were moments I felt moved, while other times I was watching frowned in confusion. It was not a mind blowing film, nor did it make me want to read more about history all that much. It was an interesting film and I can understand why so many people liked the film though. It gave more writing/focus to the characters and a good story must have great characters, imo. Internal conflicts, external conflicts – characters should be at the core of every story. That’s what makes a story worthy.

Out of all the scenes, I think my favorite was the moment “Bertie” in his jammies decided to listen to the recording of his speech and as it began playing, Elizabeth slowly walked in. I absolutely loved how both Colin and Helena looked at that moment. Their complete shock and surprised disbelief – desperate hope and desire… these two really were the best people to play these roles.

I definitely recommend people to watch this at least once to try something different. Not life changing, but equally fun and fascinating.


No comments:

Post a Comment