Saturday, October 19, 2013

Second Sight: An Editor's Talks on Writing... by Cheryl B. Klein

 
 
This will be a quickie observation since I'm not going to do much of a review on an editor.  Even as a student, I was not crazy enough to correct my teachers.  They have the teacher copies of books. Lol.
 
Joking aside, I fount many of the content very engaging and very funny at times.  Cheryl B. Klein used a lot of examples that really helped.  I enjoyed reading it much as a book rather than a guide, although it contained a lot of good information.  It ranged from some basic information, or how not to write a query letter to very detailed step by step with pictures as examples. Usually Klein was pointing out all the problems and mistakes she had encountered while editing. Editors have it tough.
 
One thing I do want to point out despite my better judgment...  As much as I enjoyed the book and the guides, I really didn't need a chapter dedicated on how wonderful Harry Potter was to the world of writing.  It's literally chaptered 'A Few Things Writers Can Learn from Harry Potter'.  While I appreciated the use of an actual book/series being used to exemplify how certain skills and techniques can be helpful to writers, it really ended up feeling like a love letter to HP.  Don't get me wrong, it was informative and gave me a better understanding as to why so many people loved HP.  I quite enjoyed the series myself, but it was a little over the top.  Unintentionally so.  Still fun to read how an editor likes to dissect a book.  It almost feels like a lot of name dropping, but in a good way since Klein does back up a lot of what she's trying to point out with quoted examples.
 
Overall, I found the book fun to read even as entertainment, while packed with a lot of useful information for writers of all fields and genres.  I will definitely be referencing this book in the future as I write.  It's has a lot of good tips and new perspectives.
 
If you have time, and spare dough on books, definitely give this book a try.  Or even better yet, borrow it from your local library. ;)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment